Unlimited Beef Tacos on Sundays, Creamy chicken macaroni soup on All Souls’ day, Majestic ham and Asti on New Years eve, Kimpura’s tempura and chahan with Lolo…
There’s talk about the shortest connections to someone’s heart is his or her stomachs, and perhaps our brain’s hippocampus is wired in there somewhere as well because when I taste certain dishes like those above, corresponding memories come rushing back.
One of our fave dishes that played a part in our childhood was the famous spaghetti of Makati Supermarket. Along with my sisters, we would go to the supermarket with our Mom maybe every week. It would take us one cart each (4 carts in all) to buy enough groceries for our big family of 9 plus helpers. After we finish ticking of our shopping list, we would either order spaghetti for take out or eat it there right the café, sometimes pairing it with Orange Julius’ drinks. Usually it would be the former since our Dad and 3 brothers would be waiting for merienda at home.
Having moved out of Makati after marriage and with the supermarket itself closing and just retaining its Alabang branch now, we haven’t had this dish for a long time so one Sunday I brought out my recipe cards and found this recipe which my elder sister shared with me years ago.
If you like the sweet and tangy Makati Supermarket spaghetti, try this recipe and perhaps you’ll also enjoy the many memories that come as it touches your lips.
Spaghetti ala Makati Supermarket
500 grams spaghetti noodles
1 head garlic
minced 1/4 kilo ground beef 1/4 kilo ground pork
5 pieces hot dog sliced diagonally
1/4 cup vienna sausage
sliced 1/4 cup sweet ham, sliced in small squares (1/2 inch by 1/2 inch)
1 bottle banana catsup (Jufran brand is most recommended)
1 cup chopped onions
1 cup tomato sauce
1 cup water
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1 bay leaf
1/8 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon oregano
salt and pepper to taste
grated Perfect Italiano parmesan cheese
1. Cook spaghetti noodles according to package instructions.
2. In a kawali or wok, sauté garlic and onions in olive oil.
3. Combine ground beef, ground pork, bay leaf, green and red bell pepper and a cup of water in the wok. Allow to simmer for 10 minutes.
4. Add tomato sauce, banana catsup and allow to simmer for 10 more minutes
5. Add brown sugar, vienna sausage, sweet ham and hotdogs. Simmer for 5 minutes.
6. Add grated Perfect Italiano parmesan cheese and stir.
7. Add a little more water (maybe 1/2 cup more) till you get your desired consistency. Add salt and pepper to taste.
8. Serve separately with cooked spaghetti noodles and more grated Parmesan cheese on top.